Translate

Thursday 30 May 2013

Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb

Yeah, yesterday my Dad suddenly wanted to try out the Circle Line to Bayfront MRT. He wanted to go to MBS to see a new exhibition at the ArtScience Museum, Marina Bay Sands. The exhibition Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb is a collaboration with the world famous British Museum. For Singapore Citizens or Residents, it will cost an adult SGD13.00.




So what do you get for imparting that bit of cash over? Well for starters, the exhibition starts AFTER you watch a short film. This film features a long dead star called Nesperennub. Well his mummy that is. The show is narrated by the famous Patrick Steward of Star Trek: The Next Generation fame. The British Actor definitely enhances the experience for me! Oh and the show is a 3D one. This is one of the few movies that probably need to be in 3D as they show the mummy through a series of CT scans. As a souvenir, we could take home the 3D glasses. Pretty stylish I must say.





The seats are like temporary construction seats made of plastic and mounted on metal frames. Not too comfortable but the show is not long enough to cause discomfort. Thankfully we went down on a weekday so there was no crowd or crazy noisy kids to ruin a good film.

Once over, we went to look at the exhibits. What amazed me are how well preserved some of the artefacts are. I was the details are incredible and the colours are quite vibrant especially for those in blue. My guess is the colours were restored but the materials the blue colour were made from lapis lazuli which I believe holds its intense colour well. Overall a lot to see and read. There is an embalming workshop to explain the process which was pretty good and well explained based on my recollections of a documentary I watched in the past. The nice part is the explanation of the cartonnage which I learnt more about in addition to the embalming process.

At the end of the exhibition, there is of course the merchandise shop. In there are nice trinkets but the one that stood out most for me was the perfume which was called Egyptian Lotus and was available for SGD60.00 but I did not get it though. We left sometime mid afternoon and did not have stop for a break at MBS as things were a bit pricey.

Overall a nice educational experience and worth the SDG13.00. Having Patrick Stewart narrate to me was a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment