Translate

Tuesday 4 June 2013

McDonald's Hello Kitty Series 2012

Short Intermission before the next McDonald's Hello Kitty Fairy Tales doll which is the Little Red Riding Hood comes out. Last year, they did release a set which online I can only figure it to be called McDonald Hello Kitty series or something like that. One difference is this one comes in a polybag in Singapore. It seems somewhere else it comes in a neat box. Hence I guess its cheaper price of SGD3.60 or the inflation rate is really hitting Singapore fast and furious at ~27%.






It was a series in which the 4 chosen McDonald's icons and mascots are re-imagined as Hello Kitty characters. Here they are in a promotional poster. I just find it funny that they had to emphasise that it was an official Sanrio product...I mean it is not like McD's going to created a pirated knock off of any trademarked characters.




While researching on the almighty Wiki I found out there were quite a few characters that McDonald's had used over the years but there are probably the 4 that most people would identify with McDs. For more information on the various characters go to here.

I had bought 3 of the 4 of them last year and was missing the Grimace Hello Kitty. A few days back though, when I was getting the Wizard of Oz Hello Kitty, I just did a random eBay search and found that someone was selling it for SGD12.00! After some discussion with the guy via SMS, I bought it to complete my collection. Here is a group shot of them in all their still sealed polybag glory. Sweet. But I must say the polybags are starting to look grimy and dated...




If you did not know, I am sort of a collector of things which is a HORRIBLE disease at times which coupled with my occasional bouts of sudden obsession with some things that shall not be named (er hmm...Lego...er hmm....) really can result in terrible outcomes for those around me...and my wallet in my left pocket.

So this post is just going to be short comment on each of them. First up, Hamburgler Hello Kitty. Looks like a jailed version of superman with the cape back there.



Grimace Hello Kitty is next. Super purple all around with a hoodie, which makes Hello Kitty look like a gangsta.




Then we have Birdie Hello Kitty. This one to me seems more mundane and with the magenta coloured pyjamas it does not appeal as much to me as the purple Grimace Hello Kitty but it still looks rather decent and of course Hello Kitty-like.




Last of all, we have the Ronald MacDonald Hello Kitty. It certainly bears a lot of resemblance to the Ronald McDonald it was modelled after.




What I do notice from both this series and the Fairy Tales one is that they are either bare or hooded all in the same method. I guess that really saves on design and production costs since you only need 2 major templates with making them with slight variations after that in terms of colour, etc. What separates each character therefore is the bottom half of the doll.

I am glad that I managed to complete this set without paying an arm or a leg for Grimace Hello Kitty. They look quite nice with the Fairy Tales ones since the size is exactly the same. Once I finish collecting the Fairy Tales series, I shall take a group shot of them combined if I can. I think they will look swell.

For the posts on the other Fairy Tales Hello Kitty series click on the links below
Wizard of Oz Hello Kitty
McDelivery Hello Kitty
Little Red Riding Hood Hello Kitty
The Frog Prince Hello Kitty
The Ugly Duckling Hello Kitty
The Singing Bone Hello Kitty
The Wisdom Owl* 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment